Mortadella Pizza Sandwich
Who doesn’t love mortadella? One day I was watching Giada De Laurentiis in her show on Food Network, Giada in Italy, and she made this recipe, Pizza Bianca. It looked so good but I wanted to put a twist on it and make it a sandwich instead. This is my twist on her recipe.
This is also an easy takeaway lunch or snack on the go!
Mortadella “Pizza” SandwichCourse: AnytimeCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Use premade pizza dough if you don’t want to make your own.
You could always add some arugula before folding the dough at the end – I do!
Also, in addition to the parmesan cheese, you could add a little ricotta!
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
1 teaspoon (I like a little more) lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
12 thin slices mortadella
- Have everything ready to go – this comes together fast! Dust a board with the flour and roll each ball of dough into roughly a 6-8 inch round. Don’t make it too thick or won’t get a little crispy. Freeze any leftover dough for another day.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat, for about 3 minutes to get it hot.
- Add one of the dough rounds to the hot pan. When the dough begins to bubble on the top and the bottom is golden brown, flip to cook the other side, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the dough from the pan to a plate and sprinkle half the Parmigiano-Reggiano evenly over the whole surface. **(The first time I made this I put too much cheese–less is probably better in this case.)
- Sprinkle with some of the lemon zest and a few of the thyme leaves.
- Add 4-6 slices of mortadella and fold in half to get the sandwich nice and warm.
- Follow the same for the next sandwich