This muffuletta recipe sounds complicated but really isn’t. It is best made a day ahead of time. Try it and let us know what you think!
This post contains affiliate links that help keep this website running. By purchasing through our links, we make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for your support!
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large round loaf of bread- unsliced as seen in the photo below
- 1 jar Muffuletta Olive Salad any brand - see picture or 10 large pitted green olives, chopped or a combination of green and pitted chopped Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers from a jar
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- Mozzarella Cheese or a combination of mozzarella and provolone, sliced thin
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- Baby arugula
- Whisk the first three ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Gradually blend in the oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the olives and roasted peppers. (If using the Olive Salad, make sure to drain the jar). Set aside.
- Cut the top off the bread and scoop out all the inside, leaving about a 1/2″ shell. (NOTE: you can save the inside part of the bread to make breadcrumbs at another time by putting it through a food processor after dried out a bit).
- Spread half of the olive and roasted pepper mix over the bread bowl bottom and the other half will be used in Step 8.
- Start layering the meats, then cheese in the bread bottom, pressing down as you go.
- Add a thin layer of the onions.
- Add the arugula.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for an additional layer.
- Spread the remaining olive and roasted pepper mix on top of the sandwich and carefully cover with the bread top.
Share this recipe with a friend or family member and let us know what you think!