I have made this dish as a bruschetta topping and also served on pasta.
Equally, both are fantastic.
Key: Must use fresh tarragon! If not available I guess dried would be worth a try.
Did you know that in Italy, arugula is known as “rocket”?
Bruschetta - Shrimp, Tarragon & Arugula
- 1 loaf French bread sliced thin diagonally
- 3 teaspoons about olive oil
- 2 small shallots thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic one chopped and one left whole for bread
- 1 lb. large shrimp peeled and deveined and cut into small pieces
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 6 Roma tomatoes chopped small
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves chopped
- 1 cup arugula chopped
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese room temperature (Italian cream cheese)
Bread if making bruschetta
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Arrange bread slices on a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes until light golden in color. Remove and cool slightly. Brush with olive oil and take a whole piece of garlic and cut in half. Rub bread slices with garlic. Set aside
- In a medium skillet over med-high heat, heat 3 teaspoons olive oil and add shallots and chopped garlic; stirring frequently, until soft- about 2 minutes.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until shrimp turn pink; about 3-4 minutes. Remove shrimp to a side bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook over med-high heat until the tomatoes start to soften; about 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and add the wine and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated; about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the tarragon, arugula, mascarpone cheese and chopped shrimp mixture.
- Stir until mixture is creamy. Check to see if additional salt or pepper is needed.
- If serving bruschetta, serve in a bowl with bread slices surrounding it. If using as a topping for pasta, cook pasta as directed and add this as a sauce.