These pretzel bites are so easy to make and disappear so fast you might have to make two batches! We do!
- 1 1/8 cups water about 70°-80°F
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- melted butter about 1/2 stick and coarse salt *
- If using a bread machine, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by the manufacturer and select dough setting. Check dough after 5-minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water (if too dense) or flour (if too loose) only if needed) If doing by hand, mix the same ingredients and knead for about 15-minutes until smooth and elastic.NOTE: (see 'Windowpane Test' post under 'Food or Tips' if unsure if gluten is achieved and dough ready to use.) See below for link.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide dough into 8-balls.
- Roll each ball into a 20" rope and cut into small pieces.
- In a large pot, bring 2-quarts of water and the baking soda to a boil.
- Drop dough into boiling water, two at a time, and boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place the boiled dough on greased baking sheets and bake at 425°F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt.
If you are unsure when making any kind of dough if the gluten has fully developed, see our post to make sure Windowpane Test for Successful Dough
Share this recipe with someone who loves pretzels!