Shopping in Italy
I wish I could remember where I came across this list of stores and what they sell so I could give the author credit. I was searching around the Internet and thought this will be handy for us, and might be for others. (Will update with credit when I find the name!)
Hypermarkets, Supermarkets and Superstores
- Auchan: French owned hypermarket with branches throughout Italy.
- Bennet: Supermarket chain based in northern Italy
- Billa: 67 stores in Italy with a wide selection of products including its own bakery section.
- Carrefour: Supermarket chain with prepared foods, fresh meat and cheese produce.
- Conad: Large supermarket chain which offers its own range of organic items: pasta, jams, oil, honey, rice, coffee, etc., as well as non-organic food stuffs.
- Coop: A consumer’s cooperative and the largest supermarket chain in Italy.
- Esselunga: Supermarket chain with self-produced organic products and online-shopping.
- Famila: Superstores around Italy
- INs Mercato: Supermarket with its own brands
- LD Market: Market with food and home wares.
- Lidl: Discount supermarket chain for household goods and foodstuffs including frozen foods, alcohol, bread and a limited range of fresh fruit and vegetables. Many economy brands in stock.
- MD Discount: Discount stores with branches throughout Italy
- Metro: Cash and carry for cardholders, food products and supplies for restaurateurs, hoteliers, retailers, food retailers and other large consumers.
- Pam: Superstores with a wide variety of fresh products
- Penny Market: Supermarket with its own brands and regional products
- SMA: A division of Auchan supermarkets, this nation-wide chain offers own-branded items Sma Auchanas well as fruit and vegetables, meat, bread and confectionery.
- Eurospin: The largest discount supermarket chain in Italy. Products sold include textiles, frozen goods, fruit and vegetables, alcohol, bread and ready meals.
- Crai: Large chain of Italian supermarkets offering own-brand items as well as more well-known brand names, organic goods.
- Sisa: Chain of supermarkets including Iperissa, Sisasuperstore, Sisa, Issimo and Negozio Italia. Offers the Sisa fidelity card which entitles clients to in-store discounts.
Furniture and Appliance Shops
- IKEA: The largest chain of furniture shops in the world. For indoor and outdoor furniture, sofas, dining tables and chairs, bookshelves, futons, kitchens and storage containers
- TRONY: White goods and home appliances including televisions, DVD players, PCs, fridges, washing machines, dishwashers and accessories for cars and motorbikes
- Euronics: Electrical equipment specialists. For televisions, DVD players, PCs, air conditioning units, cameras and mobile phones
- COBRA: Large chain selling consumer electronic goods including audio and video accessories, Mp3 players, CD players, amplified loudspeakers, home theatre systems and clock radios
- UNIEURO: For digital cameras, games and entertainment systems, domestic appliances and HI-FIs
Building Material, Hardware and DIY
- Brico Center: home improvement specialists for marquees, awnings, lighting, wallpaper, home and garden accessories, bathroom equipment, mechanical and plumbing instruments
- Brico IO: Italian home improvement chain for hobby equipment, wood, household and garden tools, paints and varnishes and lighting. Branches nationwide
- Leroy Merlin: Large hardware superstore chain with branches all over Italy. For tools, electrical equipment, paint, wood, plumbing supplies, bathrooms, kitchens, building equipment and lighting.
Office Supplies and Stationery
- Metro Italia: For discount office supplies including office furniture, stationary, box-files, desk-top and lap-top computers, paper shredders and printers
- Avery Italia: Printing specialists with an online order service. Products include labels, CDs, software, printers and printer paper
- Buffetti: Office equipment specialists with many franchises all over Italy. For office furniture, stationery, computer accessories and meeting equipment