Pesto is not just for Pasta
Pesto is so universal and can be used on so many things. It is fantastic as a spread on sandwiches – not just on pasta!
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Place the nuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process for 30 seconds. Add everything except oil and cheese. While the processor is running, slowly add olive oil through feed tube and process until pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add cheese and puree just until incorporated (less than 1 min)
Store in refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.